Click. Fresh Twists Emerge in Midsi and Xiana cases.

Click. Midsi Hesitant But Healing.

Click. Kidnap Suspect's  Lifetime of Trouble.

Click.  Vallejo Suspect's Wandering Ways.




Click. Firm tracks what medical information is accessed on web sites.

Fresh twists emerge in Midsi, Xiana cases

By Matthias Gafni, Times-Herald staff writer

Vallejo police Wednesday night issued a $150,000 warrant for William Perkins, 21, the man who spent the night at Xiana Fairchild's home the evening before the 8-year-old girl vanished.

Perkins is charged with a variety of sexual assault charges including: oral copulation with a minor, sodomy on a minor and possession of pornographic material depicting a minor.

"(The warrant) stems from the investigation into the disappearance of Xiana Fairchild, (that's) when the charges came to light," Lt. JoAnn West said. She said the warrant for Perkins was issued a few days ago after he disappeared.

She would not say whether Perkins' alleged victim was Xiana.

Despite the warrant for his arrest, West said, "We haven't identified him as a suspect (in the Xiana disappearance) and haven't ruled him out either."

But these are the first major charges revealed by Vallejo police against anyone during the 8-month-long Xiana investigation.

Meanwhile, police announced Wednesday that Curtis Dean Anderson, 39, traveled by car throughout the country. They placed Anderson in "several states" based on various undisclosed sources of information.

Anderson faces charges of kidnapping and assault against 8-year-old Midsi Sanchez, and police are investigating him in regards to Xiana. He will be arraigned Friday.

Two law enforcement agencies - Las Vegas and Hayward - have contacted Vallejo police inquiring about Anderson and missing girls in their jurisdiction.

All three police departments say there are similarities between Anderson's Aug. 10 abduction of Midsi and the circumstances surrounding Karla Rodriguez and Michaela Garecht.

Xiana was reported missing Dec. 9, while Midsi was abducted a week ago and then escaped Saturday in Santa Clara.

William Perkins

Police issued the warrant for Perkins after they were unable to locate him, West said.

Two days ago, police asked Antoinette Robinson, Xiana's mother, and her live-in boyfriend Robert Turnbough where Perkins was and they claimed not to know, West said.

"We suspect that he's still in the area," West added.

While refusing to disclose the source of the case against Perkins, West said it was not connected to the recent FBI evidence reports returned from Quantico, Va. nor to statements made last week concerning a possible break in the case.

Nor would she say whether the warrant was prompted by recent federal grand jury testimony into Xiana's disappearance.

Though refusing to disclose whether Xiana is the alleged victim in the case against Perkins, West added, "I don't know if there was more than one victim, to tell you the truth."

According to earlier police accounts, Perkins spent the night of Dec. 8, 1999 at Robinson's and Turnbough's former Georgia Street apartment. Perkins then reportedly left the morning of Dec. 9, before anyone else.

Police have said they do not know much about the morning or night before Xiana was reported missing by her mother.

Turnbough told police that Perkins was the last to see Xiana the morning she disappeared.

And Turnbough has told the Times-Herald that Perkins slept over at the apartment for the night and left the house about 10 minutes before Xiana left at about 7:30 a.m.

But two inconsistent statements from Turnbough about the circumstances of the morning, police said, made Turnbough an untrustworthy witness. Turnbough first told detectives he drove Xiana to her bus stop, then two weeks later said he lied for fear he would be somehow blamed for her disappearance because of his past felony child abuse conviction.

He said he believed that Xiana walked to her school bus stop that day.

Perkins and some of his relatives were subpoenaed to appear before a federal grand jury in January regarding the Xiana case. Robinson's mother, Diane Raymundo, said Perkins was a friend of her ex-boyfriend Necko Carter.

Vallejo court records show Perkins was convicted of domestic violence battery against a woman in December 1996.

Perkins also faced charges of misdemeanor battery against the same woman in a Sept. 4, 1997 incident, court records show. In addition, he faces charges in Solano County Superior Court for allegedly possessing cocaine with the intent to sell it on the same day of the alleged attack.

He has pleaded no contest to a related charge, during the 1997 incident, that he threatened the woman.

On the 1996 conviction, his 45-day sentence for battery was suspended and he was placed on two years' probation.

Perkins has not spoken to reporters, before or after testifying before the grand jury for several hours at the federal courthouse in Sacramento. Perkins has been represented by a federal public defender in the case.

Although he has not publicly spoken about the Xiana case, in a call to the Times-Herald last February, Perkins angrily denied any involvement.

A neighbor of Perkins said Vallejo police came to Perkins' rented home by surprise about a week after Xiana's disappearance.

"They came on a Friday, the week she went missing," said Perkins' neighbor, who wanted to remain anonymous. Perkins told the neighbor he was taken to Vallejo police headquarters and interviewed for many hours.

While Perkins was being interviewed, his Berkeley home was searched at about 3 a.m., the neighbor said. "They had his key and they said Will told them they had permission to look," the neighbor said.

Police and the FBI have returned to the apartment at least twice more, the neighbor said.

Perkins moved out of the rented house shortly after the first search, the neighbor said, but detectives have returned to the apartment at least twice more. The neighbor said police were interested in interviewing Perkins' roommate, and looking through Perkins' clothes.

Anderson's travels

Meanwhile, before and after Xiana's disappearance, Curtis Dean Anderson traveled in his car throughout the country, going as far as the Midwest, police said Wednesday.

"We have placed him in several states throughout the nation. We're not giving out those states until we get a further handle on exact time periods he may have been places," West said. "But it appears he may have traveled quite extensively throughout the United States.

"He didn't necessarily have residences that he lived in in these other states. It was more like he was traveling throughout these states, frequently sleeping in his car, so again a lot of this was difficult to track," she added.

Items recovered from the car and from his residence, and statements made from his relatives helped "put him in different locations," West said.

Anderson may have had another car, police say, besides the tan 1984 Oldsmobile Firenza that police have confiscated and are examining for evidence.

West asked if anyone from the public had seen Anderson in the country, to notify police.

Las Vegas

Police are certain Anderson spent time in Las Vegas. What's unclear is if Anderson was in Las Vegas when 7-year-old Karla Rodriguez went missing Oct. 20.

"It depends for us on whether Mr. Anderson was in Las Vegas at that time," said Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department detective Mark Reddon, who has worked on the Karla case.

"Right now assigned to the Karla case is basically a team of five É nothing more is being done right now, we're just hoping to stay current on what Vallejo is doing."

Anderson moved to Las Vegas at some point, Reddon said. He moved into a downtown apartment and registered as a felon on March 13, Reddon said.

"The apartment complex he moved into did not retain records, so we're not sure when he moved in and when he moved out," Reddon said.

He said the apartment was within 5 to 10 miles of where Karla was last seen.

The detective said Anderson changed his driver's license from California to Nevada at that time. Las Vegas police have no arrest or citation record for Anderson, Reddon added.

"There's been a lot of media attention to it and a lot of public interest in it," Reddon said. "We're comparing the similarities to the disappearance in Vallejo. The age, sex, and race and manner in which she was taken were comparable."

Vallejo police said there is no connection between Anderson and Karla.

According to the Las Vegas Sun, Karla was last seen by her parents on her way to school. She was last seen by a witness playing with friends in an area a few blocks from home, the paper reported. A similar set of circumstances surrounded Xiana's and Midsi's disappearances, although they vanished on Thursdays.

Her school said Karla never reported to classes the day she was abducted. Her parents did not report her missing until a day later, and she hasn't been seen since.

When she disappeared Karla was wearing a black jacket, blue and white shirt and red pants. She is 3-foot-6, 50 pounds with shoulder-length black wavy hair and brown eyes. The age and physical description are similar to both Xiana and Midsi.


Michaela Garecht has blonde hair, but her age and other circumstances led Hayward Police to contact the FBI and Vallejo police.

Garecht was abducted in Hayward on Nov. 19, 1988, when she was 9. A suspect between 18-24 with a slender build, pock-marked or dimpled face and dirty blonde hair was seen by witnesses grabbing Michaela and putting her in the car. The suspect was driving an older full-size car, possibly a gold or tan four-door.

Hayward Lt. Rick Parker said they followed a "normal step in police investigation" by checking on Anderson because he was 27 when Garecht went missing.

Also, Michaela was similar in age to Midsi, the abductions were alike and Anderson drove a tan car.

West said the FBI is working with Hayward police, but the investigation has placed Anderson in Alameda County - though specifics aren't verified.

Missing child protocol

The FBI said they have been contacted by "several agencies" since Anderson's arrest, but cautioned it was standard procedure.

"When any crime has been unsolved for folks in other jurisdictions they see if there are any similarities and then they forward that information to local law enforcement involved," said FBI special agent Nick Rossi.

Rossi would not name the agencies that have contacted the FBI regarding Anderson.

"It's not that we're trying to be overly cryptic or secret. It's just that this process is just getting underway and we don't want to get ahead of ourselves," Rossi said.

"I'm hopeful in the next few days we may be able to ID the different states he may have traveled to. What we don't want to do is solicit the public's help until we're unable to narrow the field of opportunities."

FBI and Vallejo officials are still piecing together a timeline of Anderson's whereabouts.


Relatives of a local business woman told the Times-Herald that they believe Anderson was the taxi driver who frequently gave Xiana candy and money, and sometimes drove her to school. They said Xiana called him "Cabman."

Tia Conner told The Times-Herald on Tuesday that the man, according to the children, was in a brown car that morning.

"That's another lead we'll follow up on again," West said Wednesday.

"What we're doing is going through all the information, the leads, the tips, the calls that came in, the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of tips that came in on this case looking for anything that connects Curtis Dean Anderson to this case."

"We did have information from children early on that they had seen her talking to a person that they identified as "Cabman'. We identified that person and it was not Curtis Dean Anderson. The statement that was originally given to us, we were able to determine she was talking to him on the day prior to her disappearance."

She said the person police identified as "Cabman" and Anderson don't look alike.

"Exaggerations of the truth'

West said statements made by Xiana's family, namely Robinson, have caused the police investigation to stall.

"We wanted to work on dispelling some of the rumors that are causing us some problems related to the potential identification of Curtis Dean Anderson being involved in the Xiana Fairchild case," West said. "There have been some statements made by Xiana Fairchild's family that have caused us some problems that are exaggerations of the truth."

She pointed out various comments made to the media by Robinson.

"Curtis Dean Anderson was not positively identified in the line-up (by Robinson)," West said. She added that Robinson only positively identified Anderson after seeing his picture on TV.

She also referred to Robinson's numerous statements to the media that she and Xiana had met Anderson.

"We have somewhat confusing information from her on how she knows him. We have rumors that she recalls him being in the apartment during the summer of "99 É She said she saw Curtis Dean Anderson in her apartment, that he actually had met Xiana.

"She affiliates him with an acquaintance of hers and this acquaintance denies knowing him. It's causing us problems because we're chasing down leads that maybe don't exist," West said.

"It's impeded the investigation and we've had that happen before."

Police Chief Bob Nichelini and State Senator Richard Rainey, R-Walnut Creek will introduce legislation to require stiffer reporting requirements for parole violators today at 11 a.m. in front of the police station.

Midsi hesitant, but healing

By Rachel Raskin-Zrihen, Times Herald staff writer

On what would normally have been the middle of her first full week back at school, 8-year-old Midsi Sanchez chose instead to stay home.

Wearing a blue, flowered skirt and blouse, the Highland Elementary third-grader also wore a smile as she shyly responded, mostly with shrugs, to a number of questions that skirted around the details of her ordeal last weekend.

Appearing polite but distracted, Midsi got up once during the exchange to accept a bunch of balloons and a teddy bear to add to a collection of gifts that has overwhelmed the small family home on Tennessee St.

Her mother, Susana Velasco, said Midsi - who went briefly to school Monday to see her classmates - is hesitant to return.

Asked by a reporter if she wants to go back to school, Midsi responded: "Not really." Asked why, she merely shrugged.

Seated in the living room with Midsi were her brothers and sisters as well as her parents.

Velasco said that since Midsi made her daring escape Saturday morning, the family has not spoken to her about her abduction upon the advice of police.

Nor have the family members received any counseling to help them cope with the aftermath of the abduction.

"Everyone is being very careful not to fight with her right now," Velasco said, referring to Midsi's siblings.

Midsi nodded that she knew how much she is admired for her escape and her help in capturing kidnapping suspect Curtis Dean Anderson. But she said nothing more about it.

Last Thursday, Midsi was abducted by a stranger as she walked home from school and was held chained inside his car until she managed to free herself in the San Jose area and escape Saturday morning.

Anderson, who grew up in Vallejo, was arrested on kidnapping and other charges in connection with Midsi's case.

Meanwhile, the Sanchez family is trying to recreate a sense of normalcy, but finds it difficult.

"People are saying 'she's home and this is over,' but it's not over," said Midsi's mother. "If it was over, my house would be clean, I'd feel like going to work, I'd feel like doing things. But I don't feel like doing anything right now."

The Sanchez family believes the news media, which until recently camped in droves outside their home, has been useful.

"The media helped us a lot," Velasco said. "Without them, (Midsi's) picture wouldn't have been out there, and if she hadn't gotten away on her own, well, the media got her picture out there."

What details Midsi's parents know about their daughter's ordeal, they have learned from the police and press.

Authorities have told them not to broach the subject with her themselves.

They have been told that Midsi was snatched from the corner of Shasta and Tennessee streets, about a block from her home.

"That's what the police told us," Velasco said. "We're not allowed to ask her any questions until the police are finished with her. They don't want us to talk to her about it because they don't want anything said that might interfere with their case against this guy.

"And we don't want to do anything to mess up their case against this guy. They have talked to her a couple of times, but she was so tired, they stopped."

Midsi will be questioned some more, in small doses, Velasco believes. She was expected to talk with police Wednesday.

Midsi has been seen by a doctor and is "OK," her mother said, though no one in the Sanchez family has yet been seen by any type of counselor.

"We're waiting for a call," Velasco said. "We're all supposed to get some counseling.

"People are saying, 'Oh, that mother, she let her daughter walk home alone. But that's not true. I almost always dropped my kids off and picked them up from school," Velasco said, "or she walked, once in a while, with a group. But on this day..."

Midsi, who her mother said was "just born with" the kind of smarts and courage that made her capable of escaping her captor, had expressed her desire to get back to school almost as soon as she was reunited with her family.

She and her parents visited her classroom briefly Monday afternoon, but Midsi felt uncomfortable there, her mother said, and is no longer anxious to return.

"The police suggested we take a few days away," Velasco said, "so we're thinking of getting away for a few days" before trying to settle into a normal routine.

"(The ordeal) has changed us," Velasco said. "It's changed everything."

Published Thursday, August 17, 2000, in the San Jose Mercury News

Kidnap suspect's lifetime of trouble

Dysfunctional family, juvenile record cited

Mercury News

FAIRFIELD -- When Curtis Dean Anderson racked up his first arrest as an adult, he was merely continuing a pattern he had established as a teen. He was a boy who downed a half-gallon of vodka a day starting at age 15 and had a juvenile record that showed more than 60 criminal counts including kidnapping.

Probation records unsealed Wednesday show Anderson grew up in a dysfunctional household and lived with an alcoholic father who abused him and his mother. His adult life was distinguished by a propensity for crime and two failed relationships that produced two children.

Speaking 13 years ago, when Anderson was poised for yet another of at least eight stays in state prison throughout his adult life, his parole officer called him ``lacking understanding of right and wrong.'' His probation officer said his chances of ever living a life free of crime ``have little chance of success.''

Now Anderson, accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting an 8-year-old Vallejo girl, holding her prisoner in his car over a two-day period, is the focus of several police departments who are trying to establish any connection between the 39-year-old ex-convict and missing-children cases in their areas.

Police are trying to develop a time line showing where Anderson, a transient who has traveled outside of California, has been. The time line could cover decades, and the information will help other agencies determine if Anderson passed through their area, said Vallejo police Lt. JoAnn West.

According to a law enforcement source, investigators have determined Anderson roamed as far as Texas. The FBI declined to comment, saying a list of states Anderson had visited would be released later this week.

Las Vegas police are checking if Anderson has any connection to Karla Rodriguez, a 7-year-old girl who vanished in October. Hayward and Fairfield police confirmed they are looking at Anderson in connection with child abductions in their cities.

Vallejo police say that are checking out leads to determine if Anderson was involved in the December disappearance of Xiana Fairchild. But that investigation has been slowed because police have had to wade through statements -- some described by West as ``exaggerations of the truth'' -- made by Xiana's mother, Antoinette Robinson. The mother and her live-in boyfriend, Robert Turnbough, are not suspects in Xiana's disappearance, but have been ``under an umbrella of suspicion'' since early in the investigation, police said.

On Wednesday, West refuted Robinson's earlier statements that she had identified Anderson's picture from a photo lineup. Neither have police been able to corroborate Robinson's account that an acquaintance and Anderson had visited her home two weeks before Xiana's disappearance in December, or another version given by Robinson in which the meeting allegedly occurred last summer.

The acquaintance, Jaime Neely, denied on Wednesday that she had ever visited Robinson's apartment with Anderson. However, Robinson, Turnbough, Neely, and Anderson do share a common link: They have all worked at one time for City Cab, a Vallejo taxi company.

The connection came to light after Anderson's arrest on Saturday. He is accused of kidnapping Midsi Sanchez as she walked home from school, shackling her inside his battered, trash-filled 1984 Oldsmobile Firenza, threatening to kill her and sexually assaulting her during a 44-hour period.

Midsi escaped after her captor left her alone in the car while parked in a Santa Clara industrial area. Midsi grabbed the unattended keys, unshackled herself and escaped. She was rescued by a passing trucker.

The Mercury News as a matter of policy does not name victims in cases of sexual abuse. In this case, however, the victim's name was widely published before the nature of the alleged crime was known.

Anderson has been accused of abducting women twice before but convicted only once. He served time in state prison after the 1991 abduction of an acquaintance, Dina Rae Stansbury, who was forced into a car, held at gunpoint and driven to Oregon. She also escaped to the safety of a trucker's cab.

When he was 15, Anderson was charged with kidnapping and armed robbery, according to probation records filed in his 1986 Solano County conviction for illegally possessing a firearm.

The kidnapping charge was dropped, but the other charge was sustained and he was committed to the California Youth Authority for observation and later made a ward of the court. He was later placed in a transition program based in Palo Alto.

Anderson, who was born and raised in Vallejo, was the third of four children of Corrine and Howard Anderson.

Anderson told parole officers that when his father drank he sometimes became physically abusive to him. When his mother tried to intervene, the abuse would be directed at her also.

His parents later divorced when he was about 17. Anderson described his relationship with his father as ``continually strained.''

Anderson described himself as a ``troublemaker'' in school and dropped out of the ninth grade.

For two years, until he turned 17, Anderson estimated he consumed a half-gallon of vodka or gin a day. After suffering blackouts, he stopped drinking for a three-year period.

At 16, he dabbled in marijuana but denied continual use.

Nonetheless, Anderson appeared to be constantly in and out of trouble and the California Youth Authority, facing accusations ranging from motorcycle theft to burglary to illegally discharging a firearm to resisting arrest.

In between scrapes with the law, he married in 1981, a union that produced one child. The couple divorced in 1984.

In 1985, he established a relationship with another woman and had another son. But that relationship also crumbled. After getting out of prison, Anderson believed his girlfriend had neglected their child. Soon, friction between his girlfriend and her family and himself had ``created a warlike state,'' said a probation officer. It led to a fight between one of the girlfriend's relatives and Anderson. Later, Anderson was found illegally possessing a gun that had been stolen in a car burglary.

``The . . . offense appears to further a well-established pattern of criminal behavior which began as a juvenile,'' wrote a probation officer. ``This behavior appears primarily related to a lifestyle, void of any significant supporting stability. Emotional issues, originating from the abusive relationship with his father may have also contributed to the . . . offense.''

Anderson, who was arrested in San Jose on Saturday hours after Midsi broke free, is being held without bail in the Solano County Jail in Fairfield. He is due in court Friday to enter pleas to one count of kidnapping and 10 counts involving sexual abuse in that case.

Contact Rodney Foo at or (408) 920-5446.

Published Thursday, August 17, 2000

Vallejo suspect's wandering ways

From The Progressive Review / Undernews 8/16/00


Students from Evergreen State College [WA] have won a two-month struggle to keep a catering company tied to the for-profit private prison industry from taking over the school's food service contract.  In July, administrators announced that the college was in final negotiations with Sodexho-Marriott Services (over a 7-10 year contract. However, those negotiations broke down amid growing controversy and threats of a boycott. Evergreen is the latest in a series of confrontations between Sodexho-Marriott and college students, who claim that the company's violations of workers' rights and relationship with the scandal-ridden Corrections Corporation of America make it an unfit provider of campus dining services. Sodexho Alliance is the largest investor
in prisons for profit through its 17% stake in CCA and 9% stake in Prison Realty Trust.
On April 4 a campaign was launched to raise awareness about Sodexho-Marriott's ties to CCA. Later in the spring, CCA founder "Doc" Crantz resigned from the Sodexho-Marriott board of directors.  And in July, Sodexho-Marriott was ousted from the State University of New York at Albany following student-led protests of the company's labor record and ties to private prisons. The campaign has recently been endorsed by the United States Student Association and the Canadian Federation of Students.

Private prisons will reach a population of two million next year according to a report by Justice Policy Institute.  Reports of widespread abuse in facilities run by Corrections Corporation of America and Wackenhut Corrections, including guard brutality, denial of medical care and retention of prisoners beyond the time required by law, have led to calls for a ban on private prisons.


I was researching David Hinkson's alternative health products and came upon this.  In the first 3 pages you get a lot of food for thought...including the transcript of the 2 minute talk that set the
whole thing off.  Gunderson really does not accuse anyone..mainly answers a caller's (Hinkson's) questions.  Maybe you should add this material to balance your site.  The details of Gunderson's efforts in the McDonald and McMartin cases makes compelling  reading.  Bell won the suit but, don't rule out the fact that those with the most money to put into their case generally win. I personally have no opinion either way.
Carl Lindert

 The Smearing of Ted Gunderson

By Ken Adachi <>
May 1, 2000

If you know who late night radio talk show host Art Bell is, you probably already know that he recently retired from one of the most popular night time radio talk shows in America, Coast to Coast with Art Bell. Art lays the reason for his forced early retirement squarely on the shoulders of two individuals, Ted Gunderson and David Hinkson, because of a brief conversation between Hinkson and Gunderson about Bell on the night of December 9, 1997. Art has told his radio audience that his personal life has been devastated because of that exchange and that he felt compelled to retire from radio and vindicate his honor in a public trial. The conversation in question was carried on the Armed Forces Network (AFN), WWCR, KHNC, and other stations via short-wave radio. The entire transcript of the relavent two minute Gunderson/Hinkson conversation is attached to this article. It is a verbatim copy of the transcript submitted to the court in Nashville and titled by Gunderson's attorney as "Exhibit A".
A press release titled Art Bell Prevails in Defamation Hearing, posted April 28, 2000 by  Rowland Network Communications, said that Bell's 'two-year battle' to vindicate his name had taken a 'significant step forward' and that attempts by radio host Gunderson and radio stations WWCR and WNQM to dismiss the lawsuit were rejected by Judge Marietta Shipley after lenghty oral arguments in a Summary Judgment hearing on April 28 in Nashville, Tennessee.

The release continued:
          Art Bell filed his defamation lawsuit in the Circuit Court for Davidson County
          after Mr. Gunderson and David Hinkson accused him of molesting children on
          a program aired worldwide on WWCR, a Nashville-based short wave radio
          station. Citing the emotional harm that resulted from the false charges, Mr. Bell
          announced on March 31, 2000 his retirement from radio broadcasting.

          Art Bell's lead counsel, Gerard P. Fox of Los Angeles, added:

          "When a person has been defamed, there is no putting the genie entirely back
          in the bottle. However, the Court's ruling today that Mr. Bell has provided
          sufficient evidence to allow the case to be decided by a jury goes a long way
          toward restoring his reputation. This day in Court has reaffirmed Mr. Bell's
          confidence in our judicial system."

I believe this embroilment between Bell and Gunderson/Hinkson has been manufactured or manipulated into existence to discredit Ted Gunderson. Whether Bell is willingly participating in this smear effort or is an innocent dupe whose emotions have been manipulated to follow this course of action, I don't know, but his behavior does not fit the alleged 'crime'. Personally, I like Art Bell. I've been listening to his show on and off since 1995 and I always enjoy his interviews. It never occured to me that I would be writing an aritcle concerning Art Bell.

Let's review:

Art is a well known radio personality. During the April 28 summary court hearing in Tennessee involving Bell and Gunderson's attorneys, Gunderson's attorney stated that Bell's show was carried by more than 480 radio stations and had an estimated audience of nine million people. Regular listeners to the show have heard Art boast about the number of newly affiliated radio stations that have signed on to carry  his show and those numbers seemed to have gone up steadily with each passing year. By all accounts, Art Bell seemed to be at the zenith of his radio career.

A question now begs to be asked: Why would a man at the very top of his chosen career, enjoying more popularity and earning power than he had ever achieved in his entire life, suddenly decide to throw it all away because of a two minute exchange between two individuals spoken on an obscure short-wave radio broadcast out of Nashville, Tennessee?

Another question: Before Art decided to discuss this incident on his show, how many of those nine million listeners in his audience, do you suppose, knew anything about the two minute conversation between Gunderson and Hinkson?

Very, very few I would think.

So why draw attention to it? When you are a well known radio personality with a large following, do you assist your critics by airing their accusations to your audience? Do you give them national exposure that they could not otherwise obtain?

Even more perplexing, why quit over it? Especially when you've been telling people for years how much you love the job. Yes, I've heard Art's on-air explanation of his son's apparent abduction and sexual abuse. Art said that stress over his son's situation is what caused him to suddenly quit his show last year. But the accused man in that case was convicted and imprisoned for life. Art came back to host his show and everything seemed to be hunky dorey until this: a two minute short-wave broadcast exchange that occurred more than 2 years ago, that now drives Art into early retirement and is accompanied by a three month long railing against Gunderson & Co.? This stream of events and Bell's strange conduct just don't add up. Is there more going on behind the scenes that we are not privy to?

What I'm observing is unreasonable and illogical conduct on the part of Art Bell coupled with a national chorus of booing from Bell fans aimed at Gunderson and Hinkson before the facts are even known.

For example, we have a press release from Rowland Network Communications,  which is owned by Keith Rowland, Art Bell's web master, that states that  "Mr. Gunderson and David Hinkson accused him [Bell] of molesting children on  a program aired worldwide... ".

Is that what happened?

Let's examine the transcript from that 'notorious' broadcast:

Transcript of December 9, 1997 broadcast of Ted Gunderson radio program with guest David Hinkson on AFN, WWCR, KHNC and other stations and via short-wave radio

After a discussion between Ted Gunderson ("TG") and David Hinkson ("DH") regarding the case of Ms. Linda Wiegand, who has accused her ex-husband in a custody fight of molesting and raping her two young boys, the program went to a station break. The following is a transcription of the broadcast after the break.

TG     We're back and my guest today is David Hinkson. I was telling you about the Wiegand
          case, Dave.

DH    I'm going to tell you something, Ted, I thought was interesting. You do a lot of research.
         You're an investigator, right?
TG    Right.

DH    Okay, if I saw some paperwork, or somebody credible said they saw some paperwork, but
          we didn't have copies of it in our hands, pertaining to an indictment that had been squashed
          pursuant to a payola, how would you verify that?

TG    Well, I'd go to the courts.

DH    Okay. Art's my understanding he recently paid to cover up his indictment. Now I can't
          prove it, but it was a credible source. Can you do a little research on that for me?

TG    yeah, let's talk to, we'll.., we can talk. What court district is it in?

DN    Pahrump.

TG    Well, the record should be right there in Pahrump.

DH    I was told, okay, that he bought his way out of it.

TG    Well, then, if he bought his way out of it, there's a good possibility that the right person was
         paid off and the records have disappeared.

DH    I won't say anymore than it has to do with the subject you're talking about with Wiegand.

TG    Oh, that's interesting. Now, I'll tell you about Art Bell.

DH    He's not friendly towards me. I'm not saying too much here am I?

TG    Let me just tell you about...We tried to get him to take Linda Wiegand and put her on his

DH    That's why he won't.

TG    What happened was, I had his home phone number, and I called, and his wife said: "Well,
         he's asleep, he'll be up in an hour" and I said, "Have him call me." That was about ten days
         ago. I haven't heard from him yet. So, I gave the number to Linda. Linda called. And said,
         you  know, "I'd appreciate it if you put me on your show. We got to protect our children. I
         need to get my children out from behind that situation." And he got mad and hung up on her.

DH    Ah, ha!

TG    She called him back and said: "People don't hang up on me." And he said, " I will not put you
         on my show until you tell me who gave you my home phone number." And so she called me
         and I said, "Tell Art Bell that I gave the home phone number to you." She said you [sic] told
         him, and she hasn't heard from him since.

DH    Well, the only thing I'll say about this so-called indictment. And I'm not accusing. I want
          listeners to call Art Bell and ask him to his face "Were you indicted? Did you cover it up,
          Art?" I'm not accusing him. I'm just telling you a credible source showed me the stuff.

TG    [Unintelligible].. You need to get all that, you need...

DH    I'm asking you to prove my hearsay. That what I'm telling you is correct.

TG    OK, listen, we have a caller. Ruth from West Virginia.

[End of transcript]

I don't read any accusations of child molestation here. What I read is guest Hinkson bringing up the topic of Art Bell. I read Hinkson hinting at the idea that Bell has squashed some sort of indictment and I read host Gunderson RESPONDING to Hinkson's statements and questions. Drawn into the conversation about Bell, host Gunderson then relays a couple of anecdotes about Bell not returning his phone call and giving Art's home phone number to Linda Weigand. But that's ALL I read. Gunderson, especially, is saying NOTHING that's out of line here. Hinkson has brought up the topic of Art Bell and Hinkson is proffering allegations about Bell, not Gunderson.

Based on this brief exchange, however, Art Bell now paints Gunderson & Hinkson-from Coast to Coast-as the Bad Guys Who've Ruined My Life and walks away from a job he absolutely loves.

Is it just me, or is there something wrong with this picture???

Of  the two villains, I  know very little about David Hinkson. I believe he has a web based business and sells a product called Water Oz. I've never met him. I've never spoken to him and I have no idea about his ethics, morality, honesty or lack thereof.

I know much more about Gunderson.

Ted Gunderson retired from the FBI in 1979 as Senior Special Agent-in-Charge for Los Angeles after spending 29 years with the Bureau. Over the years, he had risen in the ranks from Special Agent to Special Agent Supervisor, to Assistant Special Agent -in-Charge for New Haven and Philadelphia, to Chief Inspector, to Special Agent-in-Charge for Memphis and Dallas, and finally to Senior Special Agent-in-Charge for LA.  Following retirement from the FBI, Gunderson founded an international security consulting and investigation firm called Ted L. Gunderson & Associates out of Santa Monica, California. Gunderson was hired as a Security and Anti-Terrorism Coordinator for the 1979 Pan American Games held in San Juan, Puerto Rico by Attorney General Griffin Bell, and again in 1984 for the Los Angeles Olympic Games. Gunderson has received a variety of awards like "Law Enforcement Officer of the Year" and has appeared on a number of  TV shows including "48 Hours", "Hard Copy",  "Geraldo", "Inside Edition", and "Larry King Live". He also has a weekly short-wave radio show carried by WWCR (World Wide Christian Radio) called The Ted Gunderson Intelligence Report.

I first saw Ted Gunderson at a talk he gave a couple of years ago in Orange County, California on  satanic ritual abuse involving children. At that talk, he mentioned the case of Army physician, Dr Jeffrey McDonald, who had received three consecutive life sentences for the murder of his wife and children. McDonald had insisted that his family had been killed by a  group of people who entered his home and murdered his family in satanic rituals at Ft. Bragg, NC on February 17, 1970. Gunderson believed in McDonald's innocence and eventually found the "mysterious woman with the floppy  hat" who had essentially corroborated McDonald's story and said that she was among the group who entered McDonald's home and committed the murders. The court discounted her confession and the woman soon wound up dead.

Irregularities committed by the government in the McDonald case are simply staggering. While under government control, evidence had been altered, destroyed, disappeared, and hidden from the defense. Recently, the Judge ruled that DNA testing could  be done on the remaining artifacts, but did not allow the defense to be present when the court opened the envelopes which were supposed to contain 15 items of evidence. Only U.S. Department of Justice and FBI  representatives were allowed to be present during the court proceedings. Five of the 15 items scheduled for examination of  DNA were missing from those envelopes. That's barely the tip of the iceberg in the McDonald case. Anyone who carefully examines the voluminous evidence gathered by Gunderson and others, can clearly see that Dr. Jeffrey McDonald was framed. The evidence shouts out at you.

Gunderson has vowed to never give up on McDonald, convinced that McDonald is an innocent patsy taking the fall for satanic ritual participants whose capture could lead to the exposure of highly placed government and civilian individuals that are involved in these abhorrent activities, as has been recently alleged in the JonBenet Ramsey case.

At the Orange County presentation, Gunderson also talked about the New World Order and said that he saw too many things in the field that substantiated the information he had read in books about the NWO such as that explained in Pawns in the Game by William G. Carr. The kidnapping and use of young children by the elites of the NWO as sacrificial ritual victims and sex slaves particularly bothered him.

Gunderson's interest in the ritual abuse of children entered a new phase after he was asked by a group of parents in 1991 from the McMartin Preschool in the city of Manhattan Beach, California to oversee the investigation and excavation of the areas beneath the classrooms of the school where the abused 2-4 year old children insisted they were taken through trap doors and tunnels leading into an underground room used for satanic rituals. Despite two trials and an investigation that lasted over 7 years (1983-1990), prosecutors claimed that they could not find evidence of  tunnels. During the first trial, the parents of the involved children were not allowed access to the school site. They were only permitted to probe for tunnels in a lot adjacent to the school. The kids always said that the tunnels were under the school.The first trial ended with Mrs McMartin being acquitted while her grandson, Ray Buckey, was deadlocked in a hung jury. During the second trial of Buckey, ownership of the McMartin school had changed hands and the parents now had an opportunity to access the the site.

Gunderson obtained permission from the new owner of the school to dig and assembled a team of professional archaeologists to excavate the areas under the school. As expected, they discovered the tunnels exactly were the kids had said they were located. All of the underground locations had been carefully back filled, but to the seasoned eye of the archaeologists, the evidence was ample and glaring. After uncovering the tunnels, Gunderson called the District Attorney's Office of Los Angeles County and they sent an investigator named Perez to inspect the site.

Investigator Perez would not accept the opinion of the team's leader, Dr. E. Gary Stickel (of UCLA) that the team had found tunnels. Among a host of  telling signs, Stickel pointed out to Perez that the soil used to back fill the tunnels was FOREIGN to the local area. The grade, composition, and mineral makeup of the soil was geologically DIFFERENT from the adjacent, undisturbed soil, but Perez remained unimpressed. Apparently, it didn't matter. The Los Angeles County's DA's Office had already declared there were no tunnels and they weren't about to be embarrassed by any findings to the contrary, even from professional archaeologists.

Since Perez refused to acknowlege the overwhelming evidence supporting the existence of the tunnels unearthed by Dr. Stickel's team, the DA did not bring up the tunnels in Ray Buckey's second trial which probably would have helped to convict him. The jury was lead to believe that since the young children were planted with "false memories" about the tunnels, their recollections of satanic and sexual abuse by Buckey and others must also be 'fabricated'. Buckey, like his grandmother, was acquitted and set free.

A one inch thick report titled "Archaeological Investigations of the McMartin Preschool Site, Manhattan Beach, California", authored by Dr. Stickel documented the team's conclusive findings that the tunnels did indeed exist. Gunderson was never paid for his participation in the McMartin investigation and had spent $17,000. of his own money to help underwrite the cost of the subterranean excavation. During the course of the McMartin excavation, Gunderson spent numerous nights sleeping on the floor of the McMartin school in order to prevent any possible interference or tampering with the archaeological team's findings.

Gunderson's slides of the McMartin excavation were eye opening. One slide particularly, clearly revealed the evidence of a back filled tunnel. When the tunnel was originally dug, a long and thick tree root of approximately 6 inch diameter had traversed from one side of the tunnel to the other at mid height level. The original tunnel excavators had cut the root which traversed the tunnel, but left the ends of the root (imbedded in either side of the tunnel walls) intact. After Gunderson's team re-excavated the tunnel, the ends of the tree roots-protruding from each side of the tunnel-were plainly visible. One end, still attached to the tree, was alive, while the other end was dead and somewhat dried. At the time the case was in the news, I too, believed the media promoted story that  McMartin and her son were long suffering innocent victims of over zealous parents and therapists who were planting "false memories" into the children in order to rake in therapy fees and win out-of-court settlements with insurance carriers.( How bitter must be the legacy of this injustice for those former children and their families.)

Gunderson also talked about The Franklin Cover-Up in Nebraska. Attorney John DeCamp had authored a book of the same title in 1992. What began in November of 1988 as an investigation by the FBI and IRS of a black man named Larry King, who was the president of the Franklin Credit Union in Omaha, Nebraska  for millions in  missing funds, soon led to the exposure of a satanic child abuse/sex slave ring that involved some of the most prominent community leaders in Omaha including: the former publisher of the Omaha World Herald, the then Chief of Police, the society editor of the Omaha World Herald, a former state senator, the head of the Nebraska Forestry Service, and the multi-millionaire heir to the Brandeis Department fortune. Approximately 80 youngsters came forward and made allegations concerning sexual abuse, forced prostitution, and cult activities including the human sacrifice of small children and babies at satanic rituals.

Many of the children stated that they were placed on private jets and flown to Washington DC and other cities for sex orgies with U.S. Congressmen, U.S. Senators, at least one top official in the White House, and other public officials. These same children were also used in an organized child kidnapping/sex slave operation that facilitated the abduction of yet other children from playgrounds and off the street,  who were then used in child porn and snuff films or sold into slavery. "Sales" of abducted young American children to foreigners was common. A 10-13 year old blue eyed blonde could be auctioned off for more than $50,000 near an air strip close to Las Vegas or Toronto and then placed on an unmarked plane, never be seen or heard from again. One of those planes was positively identified as a DEA (U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration) plane.

Of the 80 children who originally came forward, only four were willing to sign statements. Two of the four later recanted, but the remaining two, Alisha Owen and Paul Bonacci, refused to recant and held fast to their allegations. Criminal charges were filed against both of them. Owen was convicted of perjury before a grand jury by a  prosecutor suspected to be 'dirty' and spent two years in solitary confinement. Six months after refusing to recant and prior to her perjury trial, Alisha's brother, Aaron Owens, committed 'suicide'  in a correction center cell. The charges against Paul Bonacci were later dropped since he had, by now, been convicted of child molestation and it was felt that his testimony had been sufficiently discredited (Bonacci, with John DeCamp as his attorney, however, was later to obtain a judgement of one million dollars in damages against the former Franklin Credit Union president, Larry King ).

Fifteen people connected to the Franklin Cover-Up have died mysteriously, including the senate committee appointed investigator, Gary Caradori and his young son, Andrew. Caradori's plane exploded in mid-air shortly after leaving Chicago for Lincoln, Nebraska on July 11, 1990. The day before, he had called the chairman of the senate investigating committee, Lauren Schmit, and told him that he had irrefutable evidence that the children involved in the Franklin Cover-Up were telling the truth.

Overlaying the Franklin Cover-Up case is a CIA front operation, called The Finders. Gunderson outlined the mission of  The Finders in a description included in his 1993 report, titled "Child Kidnapping in America; The CIA Connection",  as a:

"CIA Front established in the 1960's. It has TOP CLEARANCE and PROTECTION in its ASSIGNED task of kidnapping and torture-programming of young children throughout the U.S. Members are specially trained GOVERNMENT KIDNAPPERS known to be sexual degenerates who involve the kidnapped children in satanic sex orgies and bloody rituals as well as murders of other children and the slaughter of animals. They use a fleet of unmarked vans to grab TARGETED children from parks and school yards. In doing so, they use children within their organization as decoys to attract the victims close to the vans where they are grabbed by the adults. They then drug the children and transport them to a series of safe houses for safe keeping. They are then used in their ceremonies, for body parts, sex slaves, and some are auctioned off at various locations in the northern hemisphere. In the past, they have been auctioned off near a location to Las Vegas, Nevada and Toronto, Canada. Marion David Pettie, a leader of the cult, is an identified homosexual, pedophile, and CIA officer. His son was an employee of a CIA proprietary firm, Air America, which was notorious for smuggling drugs, destined for the U.S. , out of the Golden Triangle into Saigon during the Viet Nam War."

This CIA operation has involved the kidnapping, abduction, enslavement, and murder of literally THOUSANDS of American children snatched from the streets of America by CIA operatives. In Gunderson's report on The Finders, he included copies of letters containing page after page of specific allegations and supporting documentation sent in 1992 to the Nebraska Attorney General, Dan Stenberg, the Nebraska FBI, the Director of the FBI, William Sessions,  the Governor of Nebraska, and the Attorney General of the United States, William Barr, among others. The sort of replies he received back could be used for a graduate level course in Official Stonewalling.

If you've been paying attention to the news lately, you know that people who attempt to reveal illegal and criminal behavior in high places usually wind up dead, as witnessed lately by Waco analysis experts and witnesses who seem to be dying off in quick step fashion.

In the case of Gunderson, exposing the widespread satanic ritual murder, abuse, and kidnapping of young children for the degenerate pleasures of high level satanists in this country is Risky Business. If there's one thing that the NWO elite DOESN'T want the public to know about, it's the depth of their involvement in satanic depravities.

Satanists are convinced that if you murder a young child in an environment of absolute terror, that at the moment of death, the ritual participants can 'capture' the "life force" or life essence of their young victims. The younger the victim, the more powerful, they believe, the "life essence" captured. Satanic ritual guru, Aleister Crowley, spoke of this belief ad nauseum in his books.

Many victims of satanic ritual abuse and government sponsored mind control technologies have come forward in recent years with books describing their experiences. Their revelations are nothing short of mind numbing.  Fritz Springmeier and high level mind-controlled survivor, Cisco Wheeler, have authored four or five books together detailing the use of satanic murder rituals (E.g. The Illuminati Formula to Create An Undetectable Total Mind Controlled Slave [1996]) to create - through terror - multible personalities, or alters, which are then individually progammed to perform tasks ranging from prostitution to assassinations while under mind control. Cathy O'Brien, another 'presidential model' mind control victim reveals in Trance Formation in America (1994) similar conditioning using satanic ritual terrorization of her and her daughter, Kelly.

British author David Icke has delved deeply into the satanic abuse of children in his book The Biggest Secret (1999) and his 3 hour video taped interview with mind control survivor and high satanic 'Mother Goddess' Arizona Wilder leaves no doubt that the use of children in satanic rituals for sex, terrorization, and human sacrifice is wide spread in this country and abroad and reaches into the very highest level of governments, royalty, clergy, military/intelligence organizations, and the upper corporate world.

I had a chance to speak briefly with Ted after his Orange County talk two years ago, but I got to know him a lot better this past Fall and early Winter. We met and spent time together in Nevada where he had been helping another high level  'presidential model' mind control survivor named Brice Taylor and her daughter, who is also named Kelly. Taylor's 1999 book, Thanks for the Memories goes even farther than Cathy O'Brien's book in its shocking revelations of the vicious and abominable conduct of well known celebrities and friends of NWO insiders such as Bob Hope

I spent last Thanksgiving with Ted, Brice, Kelly, and some other friends who were there to help. I was Ted's kitchen assistant, since he had insisted on buying and cooking the Thanksgiving meal for everyone (yes, he's a good cook). After we finished eating, I casually asked him if I could copy a few of his documents and he offered to let me copy everything he has: files, slides, photos, reports, investigative journals, notes, ...anything I wanted. Before I left Nevada, I took advantage of that offer and came home with a couple of heavy boxes full of Gunderson's files.

Ted Gunderson did not ask me to write this article, nor has he ever spoken to me about the Art Bell affair at any time. I obtained the radio broadcast transcript from a mutual friend who had gotten it from Gunderson's attorney. The information mentioned here concerning Gunderson's investigations was taken from the files he had allowed me to copy in Nevada. I had to write this story because Ted's reputation deserves to be defended. The impression that one is left with based on Art Bell's assumptions and on-air characterization of Gunderson is that he's a reckless rumor monger who is so lacking in integrity and concern for his fellow man that he would falsely accuse Art Bell of child molestation when Bell's own son apparently had been victimized by it. That impression is about as far from reality as it can possibly get.

Gunderson is a Giver and cares about the safety and welfare of America's children more than any person I know. Over the past two decades he's contributed a great deal of his time and money to help people who were otherwise powerless and defenseless to rescue themselves. Based on his files, his work and investigational habits appear to be first rate and very professional. I've never heard him  level accusations about anybody without evidence to support his suppositions. Never.

In the case of Art Bell, as the transcript clearly reveals, he didn't accuse Art Bell of ANYTHING... But how many of Bell's nine million listeners are ever going to know that? As Bell's lawyer Fox aptly remarked "there is no putting the genie entirely back  in the bottle".

Gunderson's former comrades in the FBI have long ago turned their back and shunned him because he's been willing to tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may. He's more interested in the truth, the welfare of the American people, and the saving of innocent lives than in being a comfortable retiree with Club Fed. His dedication to the principles of righteousness and justice has cost Gunderson dearly, more than the public will know.

It's truly ironic that Art Bell should be the vehicle to bring discredit on Ted Gunderson, when Art's son was reportedly a victim of kidnapping and sexual abuse; the very things that Ted Gunderson has been trying to expose and put an end to in this country, all the while, working upstream against very powerful and dark forces.

The court case is due to resume on May 25.

If readers are interested in reaching Ted Gunderson, you can mail him at:

Finder of Missing Persons
2118 Wilshire Blvd. #422
Santa Monica, CA 90403 

Copyright 2000 Ken Adachi &   All Rights Reserved.

Send any questions or comments to

PROJECT UFO by W.A. Harbinson ©

Chapter 3

Technology and Sightings of World War II

Before writing Genesis in the Projekt Saucer series, while researching a novel on World War II, I obtained through the Imperial War Museum, London, two short articles which attracted my attention. One was a routine war report by Marshall Yarrow, then the Reuters special correspondent to Supreme Headquarters in liberated Paris. The particular cutting I had was from the South Wales Argus of 13 December 1944 and it stated: ` The Germans have produced a "secret" weapon in keeping with the Christmas season. The new device, which is apparently an air defence weapon, resembles the glass balls which adorn Christmas trees. They have been seen hanging it) the air over German territory, sometimes singly, sometimes in clusters. They are
coloured silver and are apparently transparent.' The second article, an Associated Press release published in the New York Herald Tribune of January 1945, illuminated the subject even more. It said: Now, it seems, the Nazis have thrown something new into the night skies over Germany. It is the weird, mysterious Foo fighter' balls which race alongside the wings of Beaufighters flying intruder missions over Germany. Pilots have been encountering this eerie weapon for more than a month in their night flights. No-one apparently knows what this sky weapon is. The `balls of fire' appear suddenly and accompany the planes for miles. They seem to be radiocontrolled from the ground, so official intelligence reports reveal . . .

Either because of the famous line from the popular Smokey Stover comic strip, `Where there's foo, there's fire', or simply because the French word for `fire' is feu, these 'eerie' weapons soon became widely known as `foo fighters'. Official `foo fighter' reports were submitted by pilots Henry Giblin and Walter Cleary, who stated that on the night of 27 September 1944, they had been harassed in the vicinity of Speyer by `an enormous
burning light' that was flying above their aircraft at about 250 miles per hour; another report came from Lieutenant Edward Schluter, a fighter- pilot of the US 415th Night-Fighter Squadron based at Dijon, Prance, who, on the night of 23 November 1944, was harassed over the Rhine by `ten small reddish balls of fire' flying in formation at immense speed. Further sightings were made by members of the same squadron on 27 November, 22 December and 24 December.

In a report published in the New York Times of 2 January 1945, US Air Force Lieutenant Donald Meiers claimed that there were three kinds of foo fighter: red balls of fire that appeared off the aircraft's wingtips, other balls of fire that flew in front of them, and `lights which appear off in the distance  like a Christmas tree in the air  and flicker on and off. Meiers also confirmed that the foo fighters climbed, descended or turned when the aircraft did so. The foo fighters were witnessed both at night and
by day, yet even when pacing the Allied aircraft they did not show up on the radar screens.

A classified project had actually been established in England in 1943 under the direction of Lieutenant General Massey, to examine a spate of reports of UFO submitted by British, French and US pilots flying bombing missions over occupied France and Nazi Germany. While no official designation of the foo fighters was offered, most reports indicated that they were 'balls of fire' which flew in parallel formation with the Allied aircraft, often pacing them for great distances, at speeds exceeding 300 miles per hour, and frequently causing their engines to malfunction and cut in and out.
While a few reports of crashing Allied aircraft suggest that foo fighters caused the crashes by making the aircraft's engines cut out completely, most reports indicate that this was unlikely, and that the foo fighters merely tailed the planes and caused the pilots psychological harm, rather than physical damage. They also flew away when fired upon.

At first it was assumed that the 'balls of fire' were static electricity charges, but the mounting body of evidence made it clear that they were under some kind of control and were certainly not natural phenomena. Indeed, according to a London Daily Telegraph report of 2 January 1945, RAF pilots were describing them as `strange orange lights which follow their planes, sometimes flying in formation with them, and eventually peeling off and climbing [author's emphasis]'. This soon led to speculation that they
were German secret weapons, radio-controlled from the ground, and designed
either to foul the ignition systems of the bombers or act as `psychological' weapons which confused and unnerved the Allied pilots. Finally, unable to solve the mystery, both the RAF and the US Eighth Army Air Force concluded that they were the products of `mass hallucination' and subsequently did no more about them. Sightings of the foo fighters tailed off and ceased completely a few weeks before the end of the war.

The next wave of UFO sightings occurred in Western Europe, Scandinavia and the US, where from 19467 many people, including airline pilots and radar operatives, reported seeing strange cigar or disc-shaped objects in the skies. On 21 June 1947, Harold Dahl reported seeing saucer-shaped objects flying toward the Canadian border. Three days later, Kenneth Arnold made his more famous sightings of saucer-shaped objects over the Cascades, also heading for the Canadian border.

These and subsequent sightings led to speculation that both the Soviets and the Americans, utilizing men and material captured in the secret research plants of Nazi Germany, including those at Peenemünde and Nordhausen, were developing advanced saucer-shaped aircraft. In the words of Captain Edward J. Ruppelt, then head of the UFO investigations at the US Air Force's Project Blue Book: `When World War II ended, the Germans had several radical types of new aircraft and guided missiles under development. The majority of these projects were in the most preliminary stages, but they were the only known craft that could even approach the performance of the objects reported by UFO observers.'

It would seem that such speculations were based on facts.

The late 1800s and early 1900s produced some of the greatest advances in the history of aviation. The first successful flights of S.P. Langley's flying machines were made in 1896  the first year of the Great Airship Scare  and by 1900 numerous patents for airships had been registered. In 1900 Count von Zeppelin's dirigible balloon, powered by an internal combustion engine and propellers, became the first real directed flight by
man; and by 1901, in Paris, France, Santos-Dumont had flown an airship from St Cloud to the Eiffel Tower and back in under thirty minutes to win the French Aero Club prize; two years later, at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, the Wright brothers made the first successful heavier-than-air manned flight; on the last day of December 1908, Wilbur Smith flew seventy-seven miles in two hours and thirty minutes; seven months later the French aviator Louis Blériot flew across the English Channel from Calais to Dover, and
throughout the Great War of 191418 the Germans successfully used advanced
Zeppelin airships to bomb London and Paris.

However, while these great aeronautical achievements were enthralling the world, even more radical theories and experiments were quietly taking place elsewhere. In 1895, a year before the Great Airship Scare, the great Russian physicist Konstantin Tsiolkovsky was theorizing about the possibilities of space flight in his essays. By 1898 he understood and had written about the necessity for liquid-fuelled rocket engines. His later reputation as the `father' of space flight rests on a series of articles he wrote on the theory of rocketry, and by the 1920s he was suggesting some of
the devices which the US rocket genius, Robert H. Goddard, was to develop
so brilliantly.

Goddard was always well ahead of his time. Born in Worcester, Massachusetts in 1882, he graduated from the Worcester Polytechnic in 1908, received his PhD in physics at Clark University in Worcester in 1911, taught at Princeton, and returned to Clark in 1914, the same year in which he obtained his first two patents for rocket apparatus. Five years later, he published his book A Method of Reaching Extreme Altitudes (1919) and by 1923 he was already testing the first of his rocket engines using gasoline and liquid oxygen  the first advance over solid-fuel rockets. In 1926 he
sent his first rocket soaring successfully skyward, and a larger one, financed by the Smithsonian Institution, went up three years later as the first instrument-carrying rocket. In 1930, with further help from the Smithsonian Institution, the philanthropist Daniel Guggenheim and famed aviator Charles Lindbergh, he set up an experimental station in a desolate area near Roswell, New Mexico, where he built larger rockets and introduced many of the ideas that are now standard in rocketry, including appropriate
combustion chambers, the burning of gasoline with oxygen in such a way that the rapid combustion could be used to cool the chamber walls, various revolutionary rocket steering systems, including rudder-like deflectors and gyroscopes, and the basics for the first multistage rocket. From 193035, in the seclusion of his testing grounds near Roswell, New Mexico, Goddard launched rockets that attained speeds of up to 350 miles per hour and heights of a mile and a half.

Even more remarkable than Goddard's achievements was the fact that they were, at least until the advent of World War II ignored by the United States government though certainly they were not ignored in Germany.

The German amateur rocket society, the Verein für Raumschiffart, or VfR, also known as the Spaceship Travel Club, had come into being in 1927 when a group of brilliant spacetravel enthusiasts took over an abandoned 300acre arsenal, which they called their Raketenflugplatz, or Rocket Flight Place, in the Berlin suburb of Reindickerdorf. From there they actually shot some crude, liquid-fuelled rockets skywards.

By 1930 the VfR included most of the rocket experts of the day, including Rudolf Nebel, Hermann Oberth, Willy Ley, Max Valier, Klaus Riedel and the eighteen-year-old Wernher von Braun, who would end up in the US, heading the Moon programme for NASA.

In April 1930 the Ordnance Branch of the German Army's Ballistics and Weapons Office, headed by General Becker, appointed Captain Walter Dornberger to work on rocket development at the army's Kummersdorf firing range, approximately fifteen miles south of Berlin. Two years later, after many experiments to find the most promising method of propulsion and the most stable means of flight, the VfR demonstrated one of their liquid-fuelled rockets to Dornberger and other officers at Kummersdorf. In 1933, when Hitler came to power, the VfR was taken over by the Nazis and became part of the Kummersdorf programme.

Many of the German engineers, including the up-and-coming Wernher von Braun, revered Goddard and were known to have based their work on his ideas. While in the United States Goddard's theories were still being received with indifference and even contempt, Hitler's Germany was spending fortunes on rocket research that was, by and large, based on Goddard's work.

As early as December 1934 two highly advanced A2 rockets, constructed at Kummersdorf, gyroscopically controlled, and powered by oxygen and alcohol fuelled motors, were launched from the island of Borkum in the North Sea and reached an altitude of one-and-a-half miles. Those stabilized, liquid-fuelled rockets were, at the time, the only known serious challengers to the rockets of Robert H. Goddard.

Nor did it end there. Shortly after Hitler's infamous advance across the Hohenzollern bridge on 7 March 1936, Captain Walter Dornberger, the head of the Rocket Research Institute, his assistant, Wernher von Braun, and their team of 150 technicians, demonstrated some more motors at Kummersdorf, including one with an unprecedented 3500lb of thrust. Those demonstrations so impressed the German Commander-in-Chief, General Fritsch, that permission was given for Dornberger and von Braun to build an independent rocket establishment in a suitably remote part of Germany, where research and test firings could be carried out in the strictest secrecy. The chosen site was near the village of Peenemunde, on the island of Usedom, off the
Baltic Coast.

The rest is now history. After numerous experiments in the Zeppelin subsonic wind tunnel at Friedrichshafen and the University of Aachen's supersonic wind tunnel, and with the completion of a remarkably reliable gyroscopic control system by the renowned electrical specialists Siemens, radio-controlled A5 rockets were soon being dropped from heights of up to 20,000 feet and obtaining speeds exceeding Mach 1, or the speed of sound. By late 1944 numerous V1 and V2 rockets were falling on London.

What is not so well known is that when the V2 rockets were inspected by Allied scientists in the captured Nordhausen Central Works at the close of the war, it was discovered that the most notable features of the propulsion unit were the shutter-type valves in the fixed grill, the fuel injection orifices incorporated in the same grill, the combustion chamber, spark plugs and nozzle  all of which were to be found in a Robert H. Goddard patent, issued 13 November 1934, and reproduced in full in the German
aviation magazine, Flugsport, in January 1939.

There were other striking similarities between the V2 and Goddard's original rocket. Both rockets had the same motor-cooling system, the same pump drive, the same layout front to rear, the same stabilizer and the same guidance and fuel injection systems. Indeed, the only notable difference between the two was that Goddard's rocket motors used gasoline and oxygen, whereas the V2 used hydrogen and peroxide; Goddard's rocket fuel was liquid oxygen and gasoline, whereas the V2 used liquid oxygen and alcohol; and, finally, Goddard's original rocket was a lot smaller than the V2.

The V2 rockets had a thrust of 55,000 pounds, attained a velocity of 6400 feet per second, and could soar to an altitude of sixty-eight miles. What this meant, in effect, is that the Germans had taken designs shamefully neglected by the US government and used them as the basis for a radical, highly advanced, supersonic technology. They had also learned through Goddard of the necessity for gyroscopic control and thus potential control of the boundary layer.

What is the boundary layer?

While being 4000 or 5000 times less viscous than oil, air is still viscous. Because of this, the air sweeping in on the solid body of an aircraft forms imperceptible stratifications of resistance and consequently decreases the speed of the body in flight. These layers of air are therefore known as the boundary layer  and the boundary layer increases its resistance in direct proportion to the increasing speed of the flying object, thus imposing severe limitations on its speed and manoeuvrability.

Though the boundary layer affects all forms of flight, the major problem regarding ultra-high-speed flight is to somehow move this negative air as far to the rear of the aircraft as possible, thus minimizing the expenditure of energy required to propel the aircraft through the sky. Moreover, it is possible that a revolutionary type of aircraft could  by not only completely removing the boundary layer, but by somehow rerouting
it and utilizing it as an added propulsive force  fly through the skies using little other than the expelled air itself. Should this be accomplished, we would have an aircraft capable of remarkable speeds while using only the bare minimum of conventional fuel.

The Germans were working on all aspects of the boundary layer even before the beginning of the Great War of 191418.

Physicist Dr Eduard Ludwig worked with the famous aircraft designer Hugo Junkers at his factory in Dessau where, in 1910, they produced one of the earliest `flying wing' designs. According to Ludwig, the first physicist to consider `this new branch of aerodynamics' was Professor Jukowski of Moscow. Before World War I, Jukowski worked with Dr Kutta of the Technical High School of Stuttgart, Germany, on the development of the theory of aeroplane wingbeam and succeeded in establishing the differential equation of the boundary layer, which for the first time threw light on why `a
planewing can bear a load while moving forward through the air'. Since then, according to Ludwig, the KuttaJukowski Theory of Aeroplane Wingbeam has been the foundation of all aerodynamics.

However, even earlier than that, in 1904, at the Aerodynamic Experimental Institute of the Göttingen University, the physicist Professor Ludwig Prandtl discovered the boundary layer, which in turn led to the understanding of the way in which streamlining would reduce the drag of aeroplane wings and other moving bodies. Prandtl's work soon became the basic material of aerodynamics, and he went on to make pioneering
discoveries in subsonic airflow, advance wind tunnel design, and other aerodynamic equipment design. He also devised a `soap film analogy' for the analysis of torsion forces of structures, and produced invaluable studies on the `theory of plasticity'.

By 1915, another member of the Technical High School of Stuttgart, Professor H.C. Bauman, utilizing the theories of Prandtl, received a patent for a Splitwing `through which the artificial interruption of the course of the current, the tearing of the boundary layer, and the consequent braking and diminishing of the landing speed would be attained'.

Meanwhile, Anton Flettner, the German director of an aeronautical and hydrodynamic research institute in Amsterdam, had invented the rotorship, a vessel propelled by revolving cylinders mounted vertically on the deck. In 1926 he established an aircraft factory in Berlin, where he used what became known as the Flettner-Rotor for the production of Flettner FI 282 and other helicopters. Soon, at the behest of Professor Junkers, the FlettnerRotor (`a cylinder turning at great speed') was being utilized by
professors Prandtl, Ludwig, and others, as a means of investigating `to what extent the uplift of a wing could be increased'.

The experiments were fraught with difficulty and cost the lives of at least four test pilots. This was due to `inexplicable vibrations and axle breakages', leading the scientists to the conclusion that `only a gas turbine could produce the required uplift of the cylinder'. This led in turn to the building of a wind tunnel in which many invaluable experiments
on the relationship between supersonic speeds and the boundary layer were conducted, culminating in the first successful flight of a jet aircraft in 1939, as well as the launching of the VI and V2 rockets during the closing stages of World War II.

The German scientists and engineers believed that the perfect flying machine would be one that required no runway, since it would take off vertically, would be able to hover in midair, and would not be limited in manoeuvrability or speed by the boundary layer. As the buildup of the boundary layer is dramatically increased by the many surface protuberances of a normal aircraft wings, tails, rudders, rotors, cockpits  it was felt
that by getting rid of them completely, by somehow wrapping them together as part and parcel of the one, circular, smooth-surfaced flying wing, the first step in the conquest of the boundary layer would be achieved.

Germany was the country with most interest in such developments and certainly the most advanced at that time. A disc-or-saucer-shaped aircraft, without any surface protuberances, powered by ultra-high-speed engines, is what they were after and many designs of the time were based on that conception. It is therefore no accident that as early as 1935 a German, Hans von Ohain, had applied for a patent for a jet engine. Nor was it an accident that the first flight of a jet-powered aircraft was made by a Heinkel He 178 at Rostock, Germany, on 27 August 1939.

Regarding vertical-rising aircraft, the FockeAchgelis Company had already announced in 1939 that it had almost completed its FW 61 helicopter, which would be the first fully operational helicopter in existence. That the Germans produced the first successful helicopter but were not known to have used such craft during World War II may be due to the fact that already they were more concerned with tailless aircraft or `flying wings', devoid of vertical stabilizing or control surfaces, which would lead them to the search for a jet-propelled, disc-shaped aircraft, or flying saucer.

By 1932 the Horten brothers of Bonn had produced some successful prototypes for the German Air Ministry at their factory in Bonn. The Horten I was an `all wing' aircraft, which in prototype form was a wooden-framed glider. It had a span of 40.7 feet, a wing area of 226 square feet, and a wingloading of two pounds per square foot. It had a flying weight of 440 pounds, a gliding angle of twenty-one degrees, and a flying life of approximately seven hours. As the Horten brothers were convinced that the most important form of aircraft would be the all-wing type, there were no vertical stabilizing or control surfaces on the Horten I. It was virtually flat and crescent-shaped, like a boomerang, with the pilot placed in a prone position, to reduce cockpit size. This so called `flying wing' certainly flew for seven hours, but it could never have been the basis of a flying saucer for one very good reason: it was still faced with the problem that
had repeatedly foiled other German aeronautical engineers  the limitations imposed by the boundary layer.

A more advanced model, the Horten 11, D11167, was built in 1934 and test-flown at Rangsdorf, Germany, on 17 November 1938. According to the report of Hanna Rasche (the popular female pilot who also demonstrated the Focke-Achgelis helicopter the same year), this test flight turned out to be highly unsatisfactory. The so-called tailless aircraft possessed great static-longitudinal stability and complete safety in relation to the spin, but its control surfaces were so heavy that measurements of manoeuvring
stability could not be carried out. The unsatisfactory arrangement of its undercarriage necessitated too long a takeoff; the relation between its longitudinal, lateral and directional controls was unsatisfactory; its turning flight and manoeuvrability were fraught with difficulty, and side-slipping could not be carried out.

Nevertheless, the Horten designs were the first. on the road to a disc-shaped aircraft and, as we shall see, would cause great concern amongst Allied scientists and intelligence officers involved in post-war investigations into the possibility of German, or German-based Russian flying saucers. While experiments with `flying wings' and spherical aircraft were being conducted by the likes of the Horten brothers, many
other German scientists, including Professor Betz, Flettner, and Junkers, were experimenting with specially equipped airwings in attempts to reduce the boundary layer. Most of these experiments were based on the `suction' method, in which the negative air is sucked into the wing itself, through tiny holes or slots, then expelled by means of a pump located in the fuselage.

While this was a step in the right direction, the resulting aircraft still required heavy, obstructive engines (also the main problem with the Horten brothers' envisaged flying wing jet fighter). The belief persisted that in order to get rid of the boundary layer completely  and in order to make use of the `dead' air not only for acceleration, but for manoeuvring as well  the requirement was for an aircraft devoid of all obstructing
protuberances, such as wings, rudders and even normal air-intakes, and not
requiring a large, heavy engine. In other words, this revolutionary new aircraft should be the perfect flying wing that offers the least possible resistance, sucks in the `dead' air of the boundary layer, and then uses that same air, expelling it at great force, to increase its own momentum.  It would therefore have to be a circular `wing' that is, in a sense, wrapped around its suction pump, with the pump being part and parcel of the
engine: a machine shaped like a saucer.

[to be cont...]

Firm Tracks Which Medical Information Consumers Access
by Lisa Lipman © 2000 Associated Press

BOSTON — Internet privacy advocates raised concerns Tuesday about a technology firm that is quietly tracking the information consumers are getting from pharmaceutical companies' Web sites.

By using tiny computer files such as "cookies," Pharmatrak can track people's movement throughout the site on impotence, AIDS, or any other medical condition. Pharmatrak then shares that information with the drug companies — and the Web surfer may never know.

The Boston-based company is not subject to the restrictions put in place last month by online advertising services to protect consumer privacy. Advertisers agreed to inform computer users when they are being monitored, but because Pharmatrak isn't an advertiser, it doesn't need to.

Mikki Barry, an attorney with Great Falls, Va.-based Internet Policy Consultants, said she's worried there are no laws to prevent Pharmatrak or other similar companies from passing around individuals' private information.

On its Web site, Pharmatrak says "in the future, we may develop products and services which collect data that, when used in conjunction with the tracking database, could enable a direct identification of certain individual visitors."

Pharmatrak officials did not immediately return several calls or an e-mail sent Tuesday to the company president and chief executive Michael Sonnenreich.

Sonnenreich told The Washington Post in Tuesday's edition his company is "absolutely rock-solid in protecting the integrity and privacy of these people." He also said computer users who don't want to be tracked can disable the company's "cookies," a string of computer codes that identifies visitors to a site.

But Sarah Andrews, a policy analyst with the Washington D.C.-based Electronic Privacy Information Center, said that's not a realistic solution.

"It's unfair to actually expect an average consumer to do that, even though its a very easy thing to do," Andrews said. "But people are intimidated, and they don't know how."

Many don't even know the cookies are there. Browsers aren't always set in a way to alert users to their presence.

Pharmatrak shares the information it gathers with 11 of the largest drug companies in the world, including American Home Products Corp., Aventis S.A., Glaxo-Wellcome PLC, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp., Pfizer Inc., and SmithKline Beecham PLC.

Aventis spokesman Lisa Kennedy confirmed her company uses Pharmatrak, but wouldn't comment on the information that Aventis receives or about Aventis' views on computer user's privacy rights.

Like many of its competitors, the Aventis Web site privacy statement does not mention that Pharmatrak monitors its site and shares the information with other companies.

Richard M. Smith at Denver's Privacy Foundation calls the system of tracking that Pharmatrak uses "invisible Web bugs," and said his organization will be lobbying the Federal Trade Commission and the Internet industry to only use Web bugs that are visible to the average computer user.

"Web bugs are like the old subliminal ads thing from the '50s when they flashed a Coke bottle on the screen for a fraction of a second," Smith said. "We're not crazy about them being used at all, but if they are used, then they should at least be visible."