CONTENTS DECEMBER 2, 2000
Click. COLIN POWELL -- BEFORE THE CORONATION, ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS, GENERAL!
Click. THE WORLD BANK - A LAW ONTO ITSELF.
COLIN POWELL -- BEFORE YOUR CORONATION, ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS, GENERAL!
MEET YOUR NATIONAL LEADERS
Progressive Review © 2000 http://prorev.com/indexa.htm
[Back when Colin Powell was last in the news -- as a possible 1996 presidential candidate -- we proposed a few questions for him]
- Who won the Gulf War?
- If the answer is the US, then how come Saddam Hussein is still in power?
- Well then, if that's the case, when exactly did Hussein stop being the "modern-day Hitler" as we were told at the time?
- How many people did your troops kill during the Gulf war?
- Why did we have to kill that many?
- How many dead Iraqi draftees did your troops bulldoze into mass graves?
- Wasn't the immolation of retreating Iraqi soldiers along the "Highway of Death" a bit excessive?
- How many oil refineries were ignited by your own bombs?
- How much radioactive material did you leave in the Iraqi desert?
- How many civilians did our troops kill in Panama?
- How many were buried in mass graves?
- Is the sort of censorship, disinformation, and misinformation provided by the military during the Gulf war and Panamanian invasion what we could expect from a Powell presidency?
- What differences are there between American-style democracy and the civilian operations carried out by the US military in places such as Panama, Kuwait and Somalia?
- Which style of governance would your administration favor?
- Describe the nature of your professional experience with each style of governance.
- Why did you help to cover up allegations of a massacre of 400 Vietnamese at My Lai?
- While in Vietnam what steps, if any, did you take to stop war crimes such as the shooting of unarmed civilians from US helicopters?
- Why did Iran-Contra prosecutor Lawrence Walsh find your testimony in his investigation to be "at least misleading" although it "did not warrant prosecution?"
- Describe your efforts to reduce the more than $30 billion in Pentagon "problem disbursements" i.e. money that was spent but the military can't figure who spent or authorized it to be spent.
- Does the fact that about half the front-line troops in the Gulf War were from ethnic minorities reflect your concern for civil rights?
- Why do you think it is that a higher percentage of American veterans than non-veterans are unemployed, homeless or imprisoned?
- You have shown considerable interest in the Buffalo Soldiers. Discuss their role in the ethnic cleansing of native Americans by the US military.
- You urged military men to resign if they also opposed Clinton's policy on gays in the military. Name one or more other issues in which you expressed public opposition to your commander-in-chief?
- Are you at all concerned about the growing intrusion of the military into democratic American life -- including law enforcement? Discuss.
- What can you tell us that would reassure that in voting for you we would not only put a military man in office but the military as well. -- Progressive Review, November 1995
POWELL AND THE JROTC
PROGRESSIVE REVIEW, March 1996: Much of the military's intrusion [into civilian affairs under Clinton] has been accomplished without public notice. For example, the Pentagon has greatly expanded JROTC programs. Last year, the American Friends Service Committee found retired military personnel teaching approximately 310,000 students, ages 14 and up, in about 2200 high schools (with another 700 on the docket). As the AFSC pointed out:
"Public schooling strives to promote respect for other cultures, critical thinking and basic academic skills in a safe environment. In contrast, JROTC introduces guns into the schools, promotes authoritarian values, uses rote learning methods, and consigns much student time to learning drill, military history and protocol, which have little relevance outside the military. It pays off, though, for the Pentagon. Although the JROTC denies it is engaged in recruiting, 45% of all cadets completing the program sign up, mostly as enlisted personnel. AFSC also found that JROTC programs are more often found in schools with a high proportion of non-white students -- now providing 54% of all cadets -- and in non-affluent schools."
And what are these cadets being taught? Says the report:
"A comparison of the JROTC curriculum and two widely used civilian high school civics and history textbooks demonstrates that the JROTC curriculum falls well below accepted pedagogical standards. Units on citizenship and history are strikingly different from standard civil texts on these subjects. For example . . . the JROTC text portrays citizenship as being primarily achieved through military service, provides only a short discussion of civil rights; and downplays the importance of civilian control of the military. . . . In comparison to the civilian history text, historical events in the JROTC curriculum are distorted . . History is described as a linear series of accomplishments by soldiers, while the progress engendered by regular citizens is marginalized. America's wars are treated as having been inevitable.
While it claims to provide leadership training with broad relevance, in fact the JROTC curriculum defines leadership as respect for constituted authority and the chain of command, rather than as critical thinking and democratic consensus-building . . . Finally, the text encourages the reader to rely uncritically on the military as a source of self-esteem and guidance."
Further, at a time that schools are trying desperately to discourage violence, the JROTC is teaching students how to kill more effectively. It is also teaching them -- in a text that addresses the "Indian menace" that "Fortunately the government policy of pushing the Indians farther West, then wiping them out, was carried out successfully. "
And just where did the idea come from for the expansion of military indoctrination in our high schools? From none other than that very media model of a major modern general -- Colin Powell.
Following the LA uprising in 1992, writes Steven Stycos in the Providence Phoenix, the chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff "proposed a massive expansion of the program. Powell urged the new units be targeted to inner-city youth as an alternative to drug use and gang membership." In New England the number of students involved nearly tripled.
Was Powell seeking citizen officers to balance the academy-trained military? Absolutely not. The JROTC students are grunt-fodder. Besides, while referring to ROTC as "vital to democracy," Powell closed 62 college-based ROTC units during this same period. The inevitable result was that the proportion of academy-trained officers rose and the role of the citizen-officer diminished. You may recall that Powell was the man whom the media pushed for president, depicting him as in the mold of Dwight Eisenhower. The media forgot to tell us that while Eisenhower warned of a growing military-industrial complex, Powell has been one of its biggest beneficiaries and boosters. While Eisenhower fought to restore democracy, Powell fought to preserve sheikdoms. While the Eisenhower-era military followed the wartime orders of strong civilian leaders like Churchill and Roosevelt, the Powell-era military won't even follow Bill Clinton's orders in peacetime. While Eisenhower was part of a unique military demobilization after the Second World War, Powell was among those who prevented demobilization after the Cold War. On top of which he wants kids to know that the Indians were a menace.
THE WORLD BANK - A LAW ONTO ITSELF.
Recall from previous CCW Alerts that "Those who operate under the DIRECTION and CONTROL of the World Bank owe their "primary allegiance" to the principles and policies of the World Bank, and DO NOT take directive from ANY Nation or State. Mendaro vs. The World Bank, 717 F.2d 610; Articles of Agreement of the International Bank For Reconstruction and Development, Article VII, 60 Stat. 1457. The World Bank and The Fund are the "principal", and it is the World Bank's POLICY that is being implemented by and through various "intergovernmental" agencies (International Organizations) in accordance with the "Brady Plan", the "Multilateral Economic Assistance Act of 1989", Public Law 101-167, and as specifically declared under the subheading of "Environmental Concerns" found at 103 Statutes At Large, pages 1227 and 1228, in addition to numerous other United Nations agreements, such as the "Adoption Of Agreement On Environment And Development, June 3 - 14, 1992 at the UNCED conference in Rio de Janeiro, out of which AGENDA 21 was born, to produce "sustainable communities", and "sustainable economic development". Additional evidence of DIRECT INVOLVEMENT by the World Bank is found in the "Convention On Biological Diversity", Articles 21 and 39, Treaty Document 103-20, among others. The general public, however, have never read any of the foregoing documents or public laws, and therefore is left without specific reference to such important documents and to the TRUTH about the operations of the World Bank and their "collaborators", including all of their inter-related NGO's, "stakeholder councils", etc. Sadly, few, if any, would understand what is really being promoted and implemented and even fewer would know of the distortionary interventions and known ADVERSE affects of their international agenda.
"The uncivil acts of the so-called "civil society" attract the attention of the press. The siege in Seattle surrounding the WTO meeting is a recent example. The press amplifies the claims of the extremists and public opinion is influenced - without the benefit of factual information." (And of course, the media is presenting the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, right? WRONG!!!)
Real cute, huh? And the media as well as the Sheople who are watching and listening, don't have a CLUE as to "who" is doing what to whom!
/s/ John R. Prukop, Legal Researcher"Reason obeys itself; and ignorance does whatever is dictated to it."